January 15th, 2022 – Andrew Pickens
The next field trip will be led by Wayne Roberts and will visit five sites in the area of Clemson, SC in Pickens County. Four sites will be visited before a lunch break at the Smokin’ Pig Barbecue Restaurant (6630 Clemson Boulevard, Pendleton, SC 29670), with the fifth and final site after. We will meet at 10am at the parking lot of the Tri-County Ace Hardware (US-76 and US-123, 1301 Tiger Boulevard, Clemson SC 29631) and continue to the first stop.
- Fort Rutledge (500 Lake Drive, Clemson SC 29631) was built in September 1776 and was garrisoned with 300 South Carolina Militia. It was attacked by Loyalists in 1780. Ironically the leaders of the Georgia Patriots defending the fort and the Loyalists attacking the fort were both named Captain James Dunlap. It is currently under archaeological excavation by Clemson University.
- The Cherokee town of Esseneca or Seneca Town was one of the easternmost of the Lower Cherokee towns in South Carolina and Georgia. The Cherokee Indians were composed of three subgroups; the Lower Cherokee in South Carolina and Georgia, the Middle Cherokee in North Carolina consisting of the Valley and Out Towns, and the Overhill Cherokee located in East Tennessee along the Lower Little Tennessee River, the Tellico River, and the Hiwassee River. While all spoke the Cherokee language there were dialectical differences, particularly with the Overhill Cherokee. The Battle of Esseneca took place on August 1st, 1776 between the Cherokee and South Carolina forces led by Major Andrew Williamson.
- Hopewell Plantation (101 Hopewell Road, Clemson SC 29631) was the plantation home of General Andrew Pickens. At the time of the fight at Seneca Town, Pickens was a resident of the Longcane Settlement in present-day Abbeville County. He was attracted to the area and made it his home after the war. His home was the site of the Treaty of Hopewell on November 18, 1798 and he served as one of the United States Commissioners.
- The Old Stone Church (101 Stone Circle, Clemson SC 29631) was originally built of logs in 1790 as the Hopewell Presbyterian Church and was also known as Hopewell-Keowee Church. In 1796 this church burned. Construction of a new church built of stone began at this location in 1797 and was completed in 1802. The congregation moved to downtown Pendleton in 1824 and is now known as Pendleton Presbyterian Church. The Old Stone Church cemetery contains the graves of several historical figures including General Andre Pickens, Governor Andrew Pickens Jr., and Col. Robert Anderson.
- Fort Hill (101 Fort Hill Street, Clemson SC 29631) is the antebellum plantation and home of United States Senator and Vice President John C. Calhoun. Built in 1803 the house was acquired by Calhoun in 1825. Fort Hill takes its name from being on a hill above Fort Rutledge — hence, Fort Hill. The Calhoun home is filled with original Calhoun family furniture and a Windsor chair that once belonged to George Washington. Fort Hill Plantation became the campus of Clemson University when it was bequeathed by Calhoun’s son-in-law Thomas Green Clemson. His will stipulated that the house should be “open for the inspection of visitors.”